

SheiKra vs. Griffon: Dive Coaster Showdown
Comparisons between America's two dive coasters, Busch Gardens Africa's SheiKra and Busch Gardens Europe's Griffon are inevitable. From the time Busch announced Griffon's details enthusiasts the debate began.
Theming
Busch did an excellent job integrating Griffon into New France. The station, landscaping, and shops of were all complete when I visited BGE not long after Griffon opened. I liked how Griffon had its own section in New France. The splash section was off to the side unlike at BGA where SheiKra's splash spilled over to the main pathway through Stanleyville. They are both themed well and integrated into the parks well. But I give the slight edge to Griffon.
Edge: Griffon
The Drop
The drops on both of the coasters are insane. It's a twenty-story drop at a staggering 90-degrees. Griffon's is slightly taller at 205 feet versus SheiKra's 200 feet. While the 5 foot difference in height is negligible, the bridge you pass under at the bottom of the Griffon's drop gives a decent arm chopper effect. Edge: Griffon
Loops
Both roller coasters feature Immelmann loops. An Immelmann is a simultaneous loop and roll, the named after a World War I German flying ace who invented the maneuver. SheiKra offers one 165-foot tall Immelmann while Griffon's has two Immelmanns, the largest of which is 146-feet tall. Believe it or not, you really can feel the difference between the loops. The highlight of SheiKra for me was its extreme Immelmann where the track goes straight up for what feels like a long time before inverting and finishing the maneuver. I prefer SheiKra's extra-large loop, but Griffon has two loops. It's a tough call.
Edge: SheiKra
Verdict
To be fair I only rode SheiKra once and I got three rides on Griffon. I think the airtime on Griffon gives it the edge over SheiKra. The two loops and passing under the bridge further help Griffon's case. But they're both great coasters.
Winner: Griffon
Which dive coaster do you prefer SheiKra or Griffon. What do you think? Leave a comment below.
The Coaster Critic's Blog Has Moved
The Countdown Is Over! - A New Blog, for the New Year
Check out the new site at TheCoasterCritic.com. Make sure your bookmarks are set for: http://www.thecoastercritic.com
Links to 'coastercritic.blogspot.com' will no longer redirect to the blog once the new site launches and eventually I'll be deleting the Blogger blog.
Check out the new site at TheCoasterCritic.com. Make sure your bookmarks are set for: http://www.thecoastercritic.com
Links to 'coastercritic.blogspot.com' will no longer redirect to the blog once the new site launches and eventually I'll be deleting the Blogger blog.
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Griffon vs SheiKra | Roller Coaster Showdown
Posted by
The Coaster Critic
at
8/22/2007
Labels: busch gardens, griffon, roller coaster showdown, sheikra
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Personaly i've never been on any of them but, i've seen videos of both of them and i liked Sheikra better. i like the loops and the plumets. but the best part is when you go threw that mountain thing. IT'S THE BEST!!!
Ive been on Sheikra hundreds of times since i live 15 min from Busch Gardens Tampa,the theming is awesome but i think Griffon looks better i plan to go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg eventually since i have alot of family in VA and MD.
Never been on Griffon but just rode Sheikra for the first time...it's like flying! This coaster really is in a class by itself for smoothness and exhiliration. I say go to whichever Busch Gardens park is closest to you, and enjoy.
Post a Comment