Wildcat @ Hersheypark | Roller Coaster Reviews
Coaster enthusiasts often fall into two camps. Those who can excuse a rough ride on a wooden coaster and those who can't. I'm in the latter camp. I don't mind being thrown around a bit, but Wildcat just down right hurt. I rode it during my last trip to Hersheypark which kicked off my busy 2006 season.
Wildcat is a wooden twister and the first coaster built by Great Coasters International. As their name suggests, GCI went on to build some great wooden roller coasters including Thunderhead and Lightning Racer. I'd ridden Roar at Six Flags America which is an exact clone of Hershey's Wildcat, so I figured I knew what I was in for.
The bumpy ride began with a swooping drop to the right. It's about the only enjoyable part of the ride. The remaining 90% of Wildcat is rough and bumpy. The real low point comes about halfway through. A small hill that was likely designed for a nice, fun pop of air delivered the opposite. I was treated with a violent jerk that resulted in my leg ba
nging against the car. After I got off, I had a small indention below my shin. Luckily, the injury didn't break the skin. I know wooden coasters are known for their roughness, but Wildcat was excessive. Final Rating - 3.5 (Bad Approaching Below Average)
Here's an onride coaster video of Wildcat at Hersheypark:
Similar Roller Coasters:
Roar at Six Flags America Largo, MD
Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Vallejo, CA
Ozark Wildcat at Celebration City Branson, MO
Did you have an equally rough ride on Wildcat? Did the recently installed (2007) Millennium Flyer trains help at all? Leave a comment below. Photo courtesy of CoasterImage.
The Coaster Critic's Blog Has Moved
The Countdown Is Over! - A New Blog, for the New Year
Check out the new site at TheCoasterCritic.com. Make sure your bookmarks are set for: http://www.thecoastercritic.com
Links to 'coastercritic.blogspot.com' will no longer redirect to the blog once the new site launches and eventually I'll be deleting the Blogger blog.
Check out the new site at TheCoasterCritic.com. Make sure your bookmarks are set for: http://www.thecoastercritic.com
Links to 'coastercritic.blogspot.com' will no longer redirect to the blog once the new site launches and eventually I'll be deleting the Blogger blog.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Wildcat @ Hersheypark | Roller Coaster Reviews
Posted by
The Coaster Critic
at
9/25/2007
Labels: coaster reviews, hersheypark
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
The new trains help, but only if you sit up front, but that still is kind of sucky because you hardly get any air up front.
all i got to say is its a good coaster and ya just need to be less of a wussy when it comes to gettin bumped around..haha i have arthritis and it was not that bad at all
I just don't think coasters should be that abusive. If we were talking tackle football or full contact martial arts that'd be another thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. Some people don't seem to mind the beating.
I remember the first time I went on Wildcat I got hurt real bad. When the big bumps started coming my head hit on the seat in front of me. My lip was cut open and blood was dripping down on me everywhere. it was so bad little kids in line looked at me and left the line running.
I would not recomend this roller coaster to anyone. If you get dragged on it like I did try to keep your mouth closed the whole ride. it may look really big and fun but it hurts.
You should try Lighting Racer insted. It is fun to race against your friends and family.
Remember Wildcat = ):
Hm... I guess I'm kind of young, but I think I'm a fully grown adult... anyway, probably the first time I rode the Wildcat was in 2007 and it is one of my favorite rides. I can't say I've suffered any abuse on the coaster. Maybe I was just having too much fun to realize it. Plus, I kind of enjoy the roughness of woodies, as long as it's not too rough, but I've never ridden one that I found too rough.
Haha, it was a bit bumpy, ive taken the ride back in the 90's dont exactly know the year. I like the roughness. Growing up in NY the predator was the woody I was used to at the time. the roughness always gets my adrenaline levels up because i swear i feel like im going end up on the ground with or without the train! I thought it seemed very fast and don't agree with ur very low rating..You have to go on the ride T-express in Korea,, that is smooht fast and amazing!
Emma, maybe those new trains helped, but when I rode in 2006 it was super rough. Eric, if you haven't ridden it more recently than that may be why you don't remember the roughness. Just as the case with Darien Lake's Predator, Wildcat is likely just another wooden coaster that's aged badly.
I guess I would fall into the category of not minding a rough ride. Personally I love wooden roller coasters and the wildcat is my favorite.
I've been on 43 different roller coasters and the Wild Cat at Hershey Park is my least favorite. I thought this one was worse than the Mean Streak at Cedar Point.
You are just a pansy. Sorry but the Wildcat is awsome. I rode it before and after the new trains and I don't think it beats you up to bad but even if it does it is a wooden coaster so get over it? LOl as for the bloody mouth... If you could stop yourself from folding in half to smash your mouth on the seat in front of you then you deserve what you got. And the boards on that ride are being replaced all the time especially before the summer season. Hershey takes the best care of there rides In my opinion.
Sorry the above should read Could not stop instead of just could stop.
Post a Comment