Don't Sleep on This Swingin' Old Suspended Coaster
The Big Bad Wolf is the perfect example of why I love Busch Gardens Williamsburg. And it's not even the park's best roller coaster, but it does give you an experience that would be nearly impossible to find anywhere else. A suspended terrain coaster that flies through a Bavarian village then dives to a river. Try finding that in the Coaster Capital (Cedar Point) or in California (state with most coasters). The Wolf is Located in the Rhineland (Germany) section of the European-themed park. After dropping off of the short lift hill the train seems to be suddenly be possessed with an intense amount of speed that comes out of nowhere. It still surprises me every time I ride it. Maybe it's common for suspended to seem faster than they are but it makes 45mph feel a lot faster. As you swing through the village (built just for the ride) you can see lights on in windows and other props that add to the effect of a village in fear of the wolf.
Next the train comes out of the village, slows to a crawl and then hits the next lift. The second, much longer lift used to have speakers with wolves howling unfortunately I noticed they had been removed on my last visit. Big Bad Wolf feels pretty isolated even though it's right there in the park. This is thanks to BGW having so many trees and the rolling topography. Finally, you crest the second hill and dive towards the Rhine River. Right above the river you swoop to the left, take a few more swinging turns and you're back at the station.
So why only a seven? The ride is a little rough and may be showing it's age some. It also feels a little short even though it's much longer than a lot of rides. Also, on a night trip through the village I wasn't as blown away as I used to be, though I couldn't put my finger on why. Still as
you fly through the village you can see candlelight windows and those great little theming touches. Overall, the Wolf is still way more inventive and interesting than your average steel coaster. I wish more coasters were themed this well. Final Grade - 7.5 (Good-Approaching Great)
Want to know how good a 7.5 is? Check out the CCCS. Also, check out this coaster video of the Big Bad Wolf below:
The Coaster Critic's Blog Has Moved
The Countdown Is Over! - A New Blog, for the New Year
Check out the new site at TheCoasterCritic.com. Make sure your bookmarks are set for: http://www.thecoastercritic.com
Links to 'coastercritic.blogspot.com' will no longer redirect to the blog once the new site launches and eventually I'll be deleting the Blogger blog.
Check out the new site at TheCoasterCritic.com. Make sure your bookmarks are set for: http://www.thecoastercritic.com
Links to 'coastercritic.blogspot.com' will no longer redirect to the blog once the new site launches and eventually I'll be deleting the Blogger blog.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Big Bad Wolf at Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Posted by
The Coaster Critic
at
5/09/2006
Labels: busch gardens, coaster reviews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
This coaster really surprised me. Having been nothing but bored on every Arrow suspended I've ever ridden.I remember turning to my wife and saying, "why do they even bother with the restraints?" I came to realize why they were originally in the design. This ride simply didn't trim as much as its cousins. It may have been the closeness of the scenery but it felt much faster. RIDING IN THE FRONT ROW OF THE LAST CAR after the second lift is insane. Going through the turn at the top of the lift at full speed then swinging beyond 180 degrees narrowly missing the supports the first time was one of the highlights of my coaster riding career (Cedar Point is my home park). I really enjoyed this.
After many rides on Big Bad Wolf I rode Steel Dragon at Cedar Point last year and was pretty disappointed. So, I had the opposite experience that you had. I'll get to ride Top Gun at Kings Island this weekend so I'll have another suspended coaster on my resume.
You're right though. It's probably safe to assume that Arrow broke the mold on suspended coasters when they made Big Bad Wolf. It's the best of its kind.
Thanks for stopping by.
I have managed to ride all three this summer. I'll give Big Bad Wolf first place ... good ride, good theming and I love flying over the water at high speeds. Top Gun was a good ride, but after you leave the station, the theming stops. Iron Dragon has become an old friend and is what we ride when we want to slow down for a few minutes.
Oh HELL yeah! There is nothing about this coaster that I don't love! The feeling of flying, riding sideways down the track, pulling up my feet because it really really feels like this time they ARE going to hit something, and (oh, baby!) that last, delicious drop, with the turn and preview of What! Is! Coming! Ah yes, plummeting towards the water is the highlight of this ride when the sun is up, and the flight through the village is IT BABY! when the sun is down.
I rode this with my stepmother in '93, and as she got off the ride, she vomited all over her expensive new shoes. :) That is a memory I treasure. I can NOT wait until my daughter is old enough to take on this ride! She's an adrenaline junkie already (at 4) and will LOVE it!
Oh, by the way, I miss the wolves howling, too. In the beginning, the kids who ran the ride would give the standard "keep arms and legs inside the car at all times" safety chat, and follow that with a dramatic "and thanks for traveling (pause) at the speed...of...FRIGHT! as the car pulled away. Last time I went, that had been stopped. A small touch, but I miss that, too.
Post a Comment